I finished the desk over the weekend and my chairs arrived Monday. I LOVE them. They are industrial Tolix-style metal chairs that I think go well with the contemporary/farmhouse style I’ve got going on in the rest of my house. I ordered them from Anji Modern Furniture through Amazon in the matte black color. They were easy to put together and I love that they will be easily wipeable and hopefully hold up to the beating my kids will give them.
I stole the decor for the top of the desk from my guest bedroom. I’ve been wanting to get new items for in that room anyways, and what was in there goes much better up here in the loft. I made a few other changes in the room as well. The old side table between the two recliners was a HomeGoods find at the beginning of the year. I love the size and shape of it, but the silver color just didn’t match the color of the rest of the metals in the room. I thought black might be too dark next to the already dark chairs, so I decided to paint them a dark blue instead. I just used some of the leftover paint from my master bathroom makeover and gave it a quick coat on the sides and two coats on top. Oh, and while I was at it I painted some old vases that live in the kid’s toy room to better match the color scheme in there as well. Two birds, one can of paint!
I also decided to put a wood top on the center section of the entertainment center to help tie it in to the new desk on the opposite wall. Instead of using planks of wood, I bought a 3/4 inch panel of stain-grade pine at Lowe’s that was 48 inches wide and 20 inches deep. After cutting it to the correct length and depth, I nailed it to the top of the center cabinet and gave it a coat of stain to match the desk. The final step was to give it a few coats of polycrylic and it was good to go! I also gave the top of my side table a few coats of polycrylic as well to help prevent the paint from scratching/chipping. Love that stuff.
I love the transformation. This room feels finished now, as opposed to just an awkward, poorly used space. The kids are already enjoying their new coloring station. Here’s hoping the crayons stay on their paper and not all over my freshly finished furniture à la this little mishap back in December. Luckily I now know to poly my work QUICKLY upon completion which should make any crayon art more easy to buff out (though luckily I haven’t had to test this yet!)
Thanks for reading! Time to move on to the next project…#itneverends