When redoing our master bedroom, I took the opportunity to upgrade the thin, Target curtain rods that I had purchased when we moved in to a thicker, more substantial curtain rod. The thin ones looked fine but they felt just a little too small for the room. Also, because the one wall of our bedroom has two big windows right next to each other, the curtain rod there needed to extend over 12.5 feet! The curtain rods I had were so thin that I needed five brackets to support the weight of my curtains, which in turn made it hard to draw the drapes when I wanted to
nap sleep in everyday on the weekends. Here’s a picture of how it looked before the makeover:
I knew the Hugad curtain rods from Ikea would be perfect because I had used them before downstairs in my living room and dining room. Of course with the way Ikea works, you have to buy the rod, brackets and finials all separate, which is kind of a pain but also allows a bit more customization. And you really can’t beat the prices.
Unfortunately, when I went to Ikea to purchase my curtain rods and accessories, they were out of the finials I had used before. I thought I could purchase them online but when I got home but after I input alllll my information and went to confirm my order, I got an error saying they were sold out, and are apparently being discontinued. Whomp whomp.
I looked online to try to find some replacements that would work. I didn’t like any of the other styles Ikea currently sells, but I found one at Lowes that looked pretty close to the ones I had wanted. However, these were almost $20 for a pair and when I went to the store with one of my rods to test the fit, I found that the threaded rods on those finials were too big to fit my curtain rod.
SO, at this point I decided to just try to make my own. Why not. First, I grabbed some threaded rods at Lowes that would fit my Ikea curtain rod. These are $0.50 for a 3inch rod, which is a perfect length for these finials. I used a size #10. Then, it was over to Michaels where I grabbed 8 of these wooden balls at $4.29 each and also two packs of these little craft discs that I thought imitated the look of the endcaps found on other finials. They came in a pack of six for $1.99 so are only $0.33 each. I also grabbed some black craft paint while I was there for $0.79.
Now that I had all of my materials it was time to put it all together. I could have done this on my garage floor but I had an episode of The Bachelor to watch so I grabbed a piece of scrap wood to use so I wouldn’t drill into my dining table. First I drilled a hole into the center of all of the discs using a drill bit that was just smaller than the diameter of my threaded rods. I didn’t measure the center perfectly, just eyeballed it.
The wooden balls all had a spot in them where it looked like a bullseye, so I used that as a marker for where to drill into them to try to get it as centered as possible. It really doesn’t have to be perfect…if it’s a little lopsided you will just turn that side toward the wall later. #lazyhack
Then, I took my ball and begun to screw in the threaded rods. I used my vice grips to hold onto the rod while I spun the ball onto it until a little more than half the rod was left sticking out.
Then I screwed the disc onto the rod as well.
Since I already had this scrap wood piece out I went ahead and drilled some holes into it to make a little stand so I could paint all sides of my finials at once. This could easily be made out of a cardboard box or something as well.
I used this cheap satin craft paint and gave my finials approximately
a million 5 coats of paint. In hindsight spray paint might have been a better choice but I forgot that existed when I was getting my supplies. Good thing The Bachelor is 2 hours long.
After they were all painted and dry I could install them. I’m pretty excited with how they turned out, and although they aren’t quite as cheap as the Ikea ones would have been, they are still almost half the price of the closest alternative I found at Lowes. In total, each finial costs $5.12, or $10.24 for a pair, not including the price of paint which was a few cents each. I only used maybe half of my $0.79 bottle of craft paint for all 8 finials. However, you could easily stain or spray paint these as well.
And here is how they look from a distance. This is a perfect DIY for when you can’t find finials that fit your curtain rods, or your style. Fairly easy and inexpensive, and highly customizable. I am still loving the way this room turned out!