I’ve been SO busy working on projects around here in preparation for family coming into town in a few weeks, but I finally got a few minutes to post this project I completed last month.
I mentioned in my master bedroom reveal that I would like to get bigger nightstands. Below are a couple pictures from that post where you can kinda/sorta/not really see that the nightstands were quite dinky under those windows.
The ones I had were just too small for the wide space we had on either side of the bed. I had contemplated getting these Hemnes 3-drawer chests from Ikea, but at $170 each, I just couldn’t do it. Also, with the new closet built-ins, we don’t really need any additional storage in here. SO, I did what I do best and decided to just whip up a couple nightstands on my own.
I knew I would be painting the nightstands to match the other furniture in the room, so I didn’t have to be too careful about the quality of the wood I chose. (Though I’m pretty sure if sanded well it could have been stained too!) I went with 2x3s for the base, and 1x6s for the top and the middle of the bottom shelf. After deciding on all my measurements, I cut my wood to size and laid it all out in my kitchen so that I could catch up on some 20/20 while I worked.
Using my Kreg Jig, I placed two pocket holes in all the 2x3s that would make up the sides of my nightstands. Then, I connected the sides to the legs using 2.5inch Kreg Jig screws, careful to keep all my joints as flush as possible. I also added some 2×3 supports in the middle of the bottom shelf and on the top for my 1x6s to rest on later, but apparently I forgot to take a picture of that part. #blogfail
Once the bases were done, I cut my 1x6s to fit the top (with a 1.25inch overhang on all sides) and the bottom shelf. I connected these boards together to get a nice tight fit using pocket holes and screws as well. Love that thing.
I nailed the top and the bottom shelf to the supports I had cut earlier using my nail gun. Then It was time to fill all my nail holes and any big knots with wood putty and sand, sand, sand.
Once they were nice and smooth I gave them 3 coats of “Caviar” by Sherwin Williams using their Ovation brand paint mixed at Lowe’s in semi-gloss.
When the paint was dry I have them 3 coats of polycrylic on the top and on the shelf and they were done!
They are a much better size than the old nightstands. I feel like I have so much more room now to put my snacks!
We don’t store much on these nightstands but it is where we charge all of our electronics at night so I added a power strip to each one using screws and the mounting holes that come on the back them. The baskets on the bottom shelf were HomeGoods finds ($10!) that I toss the kids’ Kindle’s into to charge each night.
Love having this project completed and the best part is that it was so cheap! Here’s the approximate price breakdown:
7 2x3x8s @$2.21 each = $15.47
5 1x6x8 @ $7.12 each = $35.60
Quart of paint = $13.98
Screws = $5.19
$70.24 + tax
That’s just a little over $35 per nightstand! $100 less than ONE of the Ikea chests would have cost me. (#yourewelcomehusband) Of course this doesn’t take into account that I have all the tools I needed already, but this could also be done using a hand saw, and just regular screws going straight through the boards and then filled with wood filler. The dimensions could also easily be altered to make this table taller and more of a buffet or entry table size.
Thanks for reading! I hope to have my tile floors finished up soon so I can share!